What we do
We work with many different people who have physical or mental health issues or both, and we have a particular interest in working with people with brain injury and neurological condition. Life after brain injury / disability can be tricky but we like to look at what you can do not what you can no longer do and inspire your rehabilitation. We will support you to achieve more through our holistic person centred services.
How we do it
We help you to improve your skills
Our social group meets every Wednesday and can help you stay fit, introduce you to new experiences and can connect you with others with health related issues.
It can be difficult to be successful in getting a job, particularly when you haven’t applied for anything in a long time or you’ve had a change in your health since last time you applied.
We can provide you with the help you need to not only be successful and be offered the job, but we can be your critical friend. We will work with you to produce a CV that you are happy with and within that process you will learn what your skills are so you can sell yourself to an employer.
Once you have found work we can help you to be successful in your role, whether that is through adaptations, working with your employer to make sure they are aware of the reasonable adjustments they need to make for you or if its on the job support work, we can help.
Life can be hugely stressful and even more so when you have a brain injury or neurological condition. We will be your biggest supporter, helping you to overcome those self defeating thoughts, giving you tips to deal with benefits and helping you to identify what steps you need to take to reach your goals.
Cygnet North East is a company limited by guarantee, which means that any profit we make is used to support our work rather than being distributed to shareholders.
We don’t like the term Not-For-Profit, as we think all organisations need to make a profit in order to best support the aims and objectives of their work, so we are for profit, but for our members and users not for our shareholders.
The way we work means that we put people before profit, but in doing this we know we will meet the outcomes we set out to achieve. You can find out more about social enterprises in this blog post.
We welcome volunteers who want to support our work alongside our paid staff. If you would like to volunteer or would like to get involved in some other way, please get in touch. We have roles for volunteers, including support volunteers to help out in our social group that meets on Wednesdays, but we’re open to new ideas so if you have one, please get in touch.
- Empowerment of both staff and clients so we are all free to express what is good about our services and also what needs to improve – continuous improvement should be at the centre of all organisations working with people.
- Person Centred – Cygnet exists for people not for profit
- Congruence – we will do what we say we will and will communicate with you and encourage you to do the same
- Empathy – we will provide high quality services – the kind of services that we would want for our own loved ones
- Unconditional Positive Regard. At times people’s behaviour can be challenging. We strive to treat people well regardless of their background, behaviour, culture, race, sexual orientation, religion, the colour of their hair or if they have a tattoo – or any other characteristic. Bias does exist and we will strive to explore our own biases so that we are less likely to treat people differently unconsciously.